Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Hard Day at Work

Well, yesterday was going well at work...I was pretty much caught up on all my patients. In fact, I was helping out other nurses with their patients.
I was just finishing up inserting a foley catheter on a patient for another nurse, when I heard the charge nurse page overhead "Kristen to T1, Sean (the paramedic) to T1, respiratory to T1." I knew my day was gone from there. The only time, and I mean the only time that you hear that combination called overhead is when you have a CPR coming in. As if hearing it wasn't bad enough, I already had a patient in T1. By the time that I got over to T1 (which was about 30 seconds after the page), someone was moving my patient out of T1 to a hallway bed (because we were full), and housekeeping was paged to come and clean the room STAT. House keeping got in there and cleaned up while I was prepping the room for the CPR patient to come in. I had already assembled a team to help out, and the doctor was standing by. We then heard the sirens of the ambulance backing into the bay. We worked the lady for 35 minutes, doing everything that we could to save her, but she had been down too long. She died.
From the time that she came in until all my paperwork was done, and she was transported to the morgue was about a total of 3 hours. Doesn't seem that bad...but I had 4 other patients that didn't get any of my attention for 3 hours. Other nurses helped me out with them (which is normal to do when someone gets caught up in a trauma room), but I never really got caught up after that.
So, my day was going well, until that came in. Needless to say, I was pooped when I got home. Yay for a day off today!

1 comment:

  1. wow, I couldn't imagine being in your shoes. It takes such strength and courage. Nurses are amazing. I am sorry that it was such a yucky shift.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!