Monday, March 26, 2007

Quest for the Truth

So here starts a long post. Brace yourself if you plan on reading the whole thing.

This topic is one that I have been thinking about for a while now, and just haven't gottten around to actually posting about it, but after recent reads, and a commitment to getting it done, here it is.

For quite some time I haven't been happy at our church. I can't really pinpoint what it is that is bothering me, or that isn't right, but I just don't feel like it's the place for me anymore. I blame our church, but really, I think it's me. I think that I'm not happy with my walk with Christ and my relationship (or lack thereof) with God. Wow, did I just say His name? I'm even back at the point that I feel funny saying Jesus or God. What a scary realization.

Anyway, my new quest is to regain that relationship that I once knew and felt. I'm not really sure how to do it or where to start, but I do know a few fundamental truths:
  1. I believe in a supreme being, namely God
  2. I believe that the Godhead is 3 beings that act as 1, and that all 3 are God
  3. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God
  4. I believe that Jesus came to Earth, lived a sinless life, and died...for me
  5. I believe that Jesus' death on the cross is sufficient for my salvation...if I accept that wonderful gift
Now here is where the "problem" comes in. I would love to visit other churches (inside & outside of the SDA church). Visiting other SDA churches isn't going to be a problem, but churches outside of the SDA church will be. Here's why:

I believe that the 7th day is the Sabbath. The 7th day is Saturday. I can't justify to myself worshiping on Sunday if I know Saturday is the true Sabbath.

The 4th commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) states: (NASB)

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

So that really limits the number of churches that I can visit. I'm sure that there are some really great Sunday worshiping churches out there, but I can't get past the Sunday worshiping part, so I'll never visit them. It stinks.

I'm searching for the truth. I'm not saying that the SDA church has it...but whoever does, that's where I want to be. In my search, I've decided to contact the pastors or ministers of several local churches of different denominations. I want to know their explanation of the 4th commandment, and why they worship on Sunday. I really hope that they give me a response.

While I wait for answers, I'll be researching churches to visit, and studying my Bible, and hopefully I'll find a new "home". Maybe it will be the church that I've been at for the past 5 years, or maybe it will be a new one...but it has to teach the truth.

I welcome comments, thoughts, & questions. Thanks for taking the time to read.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, not because you feel "lost" but becasuse you were able to be open and honest. It is amazing that you realize you want something more and are now out on the search for it! What a great step! I hope that you find a place that makes you feel at "home" and brings you closer to God. I know that once I became closer my life completely changed for the better!

    I will be praying for you and your walk with Christ! If you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!