Friday, November 18, 2005

Thrice Concert

So I will start out by saying that the concert was good. This is the 3rd time that I've seen Thrice live, and it was a good concert. Not great, but good. Danny went with us, and Megan went with a friend.
The show was at the Granada on Greenville Avenue in Dallas, which is much closer than most of the other shows that we go to which are downtown...but we still got there late. Doors opened at 6:00, and we got there at about 6:45. I guess it didn't help that we stopped to eat, or that the parking lot to the venue was full, so we had to park like 4 blocks away, and walk.
By the time that we got in the doors, the 1st band was already halfway through their set. They were Veda. Pretty good...for having a girl in it. Not to go off on a tangent, but I really don't like too many bands that have girls in them. I'll leave it at that. Anyway, Miguel bought their album a few weeks ago, and it's okay. They were pretty good live too.
The next band up was The Bled. Hmmm, didn't really like them too much. I really don't remember much about them...except that the lead screamer would sometimes rap his screams.
Next up was Underoath. I had never heard them before tonight, but Megan was telling me that they are a Christian band. That's all good and well, but I couldn't understand a word that they were "singing", because they weren't singing, they were screaming. I don't mind a little bit of screaming, but when every word of every song is screamed, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I actually really liked their music, but the screaming has got to go before would listen to them again. They were the freak show band. They had some different people in the band. The lead singer was this skinny anorexic looking dude, the keyboard guy looked like he was burning his fingers on the keyboard as he was playing (sorry Miguel, I stole that from you). Danny & Miguel said that there was this really short dude also, but I didn't see him, and then the bass player was a giant. Freak show band. I didn't really enjoy them much.
Finally, last up came Thrice. The played a pretty good mixture of songs from their old albums and from the new one. They played awesome, but I think (and this is just my humble opinion), that the new songs sounded awesome, and that the older songs didn't sound quite right (except for 2 of them, which were great). I also felt that all of the musicians were starting slightly off, and the beginning of a few songs were off. They eventually caught up with each other, but it took a minute for me to realize what song they were playing. Miguel doesn't agree with that. He thinks that they did awesome, and so does Danny. I guess maybe you should listen to them considering they are both musicians that play multiple instruments, and I don't play anything. They played just about all of my favorite old songs. After the show was over they came out for an encore. They played 2 more songs. The first was just the lead singer by himself playing an acoustic guitar. It sounded really nice. Then the rest of the band came out for the 2nd song.
After the show was over we had to walk back to the car, which wouldn't have been so bad...if the concert were last week when the weather was in the 70's. It was cold. After we got into the car, it took us like 30 minutes or more to get out of traffic and onto the highway. It took us longer to leave from there, then from the shows in Deep Ellum. Once on the highway, we got stuck in 2 sets of traffic. Sheesh, we couldn't seem to get a break tonight.
After dropping Danny off at his car, Miguel and I decided to go and eat at IHOP. We kind of have this little tradition...after each show that we go to, we eat something. So, the show ended at like 10:50, and we ended up getting to IHOP at 12:30.
Off to bed I go, now that it's 2:00 AM. I need my sleep for the Harry Potter movie tomorrow. Yes folks, we have pre-purchased tickets to the 11:30 showing of Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!