We just got back from Brennan's doctor appointment where the pedi. re-checked Brennan's head shape, and told whether or not he thinks Brennan should go for a helmet consultation.
First, the pedi. was very impressed with Brennan's torticollis improvement. He said he would no longer classify him as having torticollis. Yay! He was also impressed with the fact that Miguel and I did all of the stretching exercises ourselves. He was saying that most kids with torticollis that have that much improvement have gone through some sort of PT or OT.
Now the head...
The pedi. said that Brennan's head is much BETTER than the last visit (at 4 months). That being said, it is still slightly flat. The bulge that was in the front of his forehead has greatly improved, and there is only a small ridge in the back of his head. Perfect, no. Liveable, sure. The pedi. said that he doesn't feel it medically necessary to have the helmet. At this point it is strictly cosmetic. He said that he's leaving the ball in our court...if we can live with a little bit of noticable asymmetry, then don't bother with the helmet. If we want the 'perfect' head, then go have the helmet put on. The pedi. also said that since his head will still be growing for the next 4-6 months, the more he sits up, his head will get better...but not perfect.
So, yes, our prayers have been answered! Praise God! We don't NEED the helmet. Now, the tough decision...spend a ton of money (which won't be covered under insurance now since it's cosmetic) to give Brennan a 'perfect' head, or do we forego the helmet, let him have a little bit of asymmetry and hope that it's gets a little 'better' over the next 4-6 months?
What to do, what to do. Miguel and I haven't decided yet.
December 12th: Recipe & DIY Linky
41 minutes ago